Information for Parents and Carers
As you know schools must meet the Educational Nutritional Standards and Requirements for School Food (Department for Education legislation) which includes packed lunches brought from home.
A child’s school packed lunch should include the following:
- A portion of starchy food, e.g bap/bread, pitta bread, plain crackers, pasta or rice salad
- Fresh fruit and vegetables, e.g. apple/orange/banana, tomatoes, carrots sticks
- A portion of milk or dairy food, e.g. cheese, plain/fruit yoghurt
- Portion of lean meat, fish or alternative, e.g. Quorn, cheese, tuna, egg
- A drink: fruit juice (not fizzy or diluted squash), plain water and or milk
A child’s school packed lunch must not contain any of the following:
- Crisps or any packeted savoury snack including salted nuts (Instead, include nuts, seeds, vegetables and fruit – with no added salt, sugar or fat – savoury crackers or breadsticks.)
- Confectionery such as chocolate bars, chocolate-coated biscuits and sweets. (Cakes and biscuits are allowed but encourage your child to eat these only as part of a balanced meal. Bourbon biscuits and plain chocolate cake can be included as these are made with cocoa)
- Fizzy or sugary drinks. Water is always available for children at lunchtime
From Monday 18th November if there are any of these items in your child’s packed lunch, the items will be sent home at the end of the day.
Thank you to all the parents and carers who already send a healthy packed lunch.
Parents who would like some advice on healthy packed lunches are welcome to contact the school or request a leaflet.